Columbus Area Chamber of Commerce
The Membership Director shall grow and maintain the membership base by developing and implementing strategies that assist in both the retention of current business members and the recruitment of new business members.
POSITION: Membership Director
REPORTS TO: President, Columbus Area Chamber
SALARY RANGE: Base + Commission based on experience
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree preferred.
• A minimum of 10 to 15 years of work experience in a business segment.
• Five to 10 years in account management or relationship management in a B2B setting.
• Customer service experience.
• Strong record of Chamber engagement and/or community involvement.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office and customer relationship management software required.
• Professional presentation.
• Energetic and enthusiastic.
• Natural sales ability.
• Enjoy people and interaction with them.
• Active networker and connector.
• Ability to serve as a coach and mentor.
• Exceptional ability to communicate effectively orally, in writing and on the telephone.
• Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with chamber members, staff, outside organizations and agencies, and the general public.
• Leadership. Ability to direct multiple projects and meet deadlines.
• Initiative. Ability to work independently, determine priorities and make appropriate decisions.
• Flexibility to attend early morning, late afternoon and evening meetings as required.
• Ability to handle confidential information in a trustworthy manner.
• Develop strategies and processes to actively recruit new members and meet monthly new membership goals.
• Maintain and update a prospective member list and actively acquire prospective member contacts.
• Coordinate and implement successful, though infrequent, membership campaigns, when directed.
• Work with the Chamber Ambassadors to cultivate key influencers and to generate leads.
• Onboard new members, building out a membership profile in the CRM and developing introductory events.
• Submit monthly sales activity reports to the President and Board of Directors.
Membership Retention Responsibilities
• Responsible for retaining new members for the first two years of membership, which may include personal calls, written communications and/or visits.
• Participate in community organizations (i.e. Economic Development Board, Community Education Coalition, ASAP) as needed in order to convey relevant information to members.
• Make collection calls on ''at risk'' membership dues.
• Update database, analyze membership data, prepare recommendations and reports on retention efforts as needed.
• Play a lead role in organizing quarterly membership events, with support from the staff.
• Support the sales of sponsorship, banner ads and enhanced listings to members.
• Attend all relevant events as determined by President.
• Work collaboratively with all staff on all projects, events, and initiatives as needed.
• Attend regular staff meetings.
• Assist in answering the telephone and greeting visitors when necessary.
• Other job-related duties as delegated or assigned by the President
• Columbus, Indiana is a community of 47,000 people.
• Columbus is centrally located between Indianapolis, Cincinnati, and Louisville.
• The Columbus Area Chamber of Commerce is a 501(c)(6) serving 550 business members.
• The Chamber is governed by a Board of 24 members with a staff of four.